Villa 1670 features:
- Private villa in Positano with lovely garden and endless views of sea and sky
- Elegantly furnished with Tuscan antiques and bronze sculptures
- Swimming pool and dining al fresco
- Air conditioned bedrooms
- Fantastic housekeeper and cook; speaks excellent English
- Additional apartment for four can sometimes be made available
- Services of a Concierge available for the duration of your stay
- Customized transportation (boat and car) and excursions arranged on request
The Villa is perched over the sea on the edge of Positano, it was originally built in the 1300's. The current owner enlarged and fully restored the property in 1982 for her retirement, creating a serene and sophisticated home. The private pool is an exceptional luxury on the coast - only three were ever permitted in private homes in Positano and this Villa is one of them. With four spacious double bedrooms ensuite, this is an ideal house for four couples who want a high standard without having more space than they will use.
The setting is completely private, part of an exclusive enclave occupying a peninsula one kilometer from the center of Positano, in our opinion one of the most charming and complete of the many seaside towns on the famed Amalfi Coast. With its early springs and long fall seasons, the Amalfi Coast is an appealing destination April through November. Elena, the wonderful house manager and cook is one of the many reasons people return regularly to the Villa. She is on-site six days a week and will make every effort to ensure your stay is everything you might hope.
Positano is well situated for excursions throughout the area as you are very centrally located. Amalfi and Ravello are not even an hour away; Capri is 30 - 40 minutes depending on the boat; Procida and Ischia make an engaging day trip for the spas and beaches and fresh white wine. Certainly more than one day could be spent in Naples or Pompeii. These are only the most familiar destinations. You can hike or read by the pool, shop or visit museums, explore or enjoy staying close to home. One of the great pleasures is being car-free in the Amalfi. Boats, taxis and hired cars are readily available and the cost reasonable considering such service ensures everyone can enjoy the vacation equally.
The arrival at the Villa is typical for the Amalfi Coast, a public path and winding staircase bring you from the road to the Villa. The front door opens to an enormous and spectacular terrace with flowering potted plants and vines, trees, statuary, bronze wall sculptures and the endless, sparkling blue of the Tyrrhenian Sea. The Villa is immediately on your left, a high loggia providing shade and a chance for elegant dining al fresco at a long, marble-top table for 12 with iron chairs. Across the sun-splashed pavement, set along the edge of the terrace, are three marble-top iron cafe tables, for a quiet moment contemplating the exceptional view of Positano, sea and sky. Magnificent double doors unite the loggia with the interior spaces of the house. As the weather here is lovely most of the year, the villa offers really exceptional indoor/outdoor living.
Beyond the house, the terrace doubles in size to include a pool (10 x 5 meters) set against the terraced hill and surrounded by planting beds. A bronze lion serves as fountain head when desired. A bamboo-covered pergola provides shade for drinks or reading at the far end of the terrace, and offers an entirely different vista of the coast and property. The sunbeds, chairs and umbrellas can be moved around to suit individual preference. Without question, the terrace forms an outdoor living and dining room where you will undoubtedly greet the morning and conclude the day. From the terrace, a short staircase leads down to the Dependence, occupied half the year by the owner and occasionally available for rent in conjunction with the Villa.
From the Villa, the public walking paths and staircases take you down to the pebble beach. We highly recommend taking advantage of the beach club there, renting a bed makes for a comfortable day seaside with access to facilities. Although public, the beach is little used outside July and August. A quick phone call can bring a boat to the shore for an excursion to town by water (there is no pier, you step into the shallows to get on board).
- Completely private setting overlooking the Tyrrhenian sea
Stone staircase down from road to entrance gate
- Enormous terrace filled with trees, potted plants and sculptures
Covered loggia for up to 12 guests socializing or dining al fresco
- Large terrace with pool (10 x 5 meters), sunbeds, chairs and umbrellas
- Bamboo-covered pergola
- Staircase down to Dependence (owner's living quarters) with private terrace
- Stone staircase and walking path down from villa to beach with beach club
- Living room reached directly through double doors from terrace with fireplace, seating for 10, satellite TV, CD/Tape player/Radio and turntable. Stairs lead to the upper level. Open to dining room.
- Corridor leads to a suite of rooms. Private bath (tub with hand-held shower). Adjacent double bedroom (twins can combine) with AC. Second full bath (open shower) doubles as changing room for pool. Direct access to pool and terrace.
- Dining room with comfortable seating for nine. Double doors open to terrace.
- Kitchen (stove with 4 gas- and 2 electric-burners, grill, 2 electric ovens, extra-large fridge/freezer, dishwasher, blender, juicer, espresso machine). Adjacent pantry (fridge/freezer).
Laundry room (washing machine).
- Independent double bedroom suite (twins can combine to form king) with AC and ensuite bath (tub with hand-held shower). Direct access from terrace.
- Stone staircase from the living room to upper hall and second main entrance to villa.
- Central vestibule.
- Private bathroom (tub with hand-held shower, no curtain and shower stall).
- Double bedroom (king) with AC, working fireplace and satellite TV. Door to adjacent bedroom. Double doors open to shared terrace.
Double bedroom (queen) with AC. Door to adjacent bedroom. Double doors open to shared terrace.
- Private bathroom (tub with hand-held shower, no curtain and shower stall).
- Terrrace overlooking ocean with cafe tables and lounge chairs. (Low wall not safe for young children.)
BUNGALOW (ON REQUEST ONLY)
Adjacent to villa. May be available for two additional guests with additional payment; please inquire.
Double bedroom (twins can combine to form king) with ensuite bath.
DEPENDENCE (ON REQUEST ONLY)
- Independent structure. May be available for four additional guests with additional payment; please inquire.
- Stairs from Villa down to terrace with comfortable seating and al fresco dining for four under grape pergola. Independent entrance to main staircase.
- Living/dining room reached through double doors from terrace. Dining table. Sitting area for two to four with desk, fax machine, CD and Tape player.
- Kitchen (4-burner gas stove, oven, fridge, separate freezer, dishwasher, washing machine).
- Guest bath.
- Double bedroom (queen) with AC, TV and ensuite bath (shower with curtain). Double doors open to terrace.
- Double bedroom (twins can combine to form king) with ensuite bath (enclosed shower stall). Double doors open to terrace.
- A full-time maid is included (8:00 am - 4:00 pm, 6 days/wk). Additional maid service is available for a supplement (E. 12.00/hr).
- Mid-week and weekly linen changes included.
- The cook and house-manager works from 8:00 am -4:00 pm (6 days/wk). Welcome dinner included. Service for initial shopping included (reimburse for cost of food, beverages and consumables).
- Air conditioning in all bedrooms.
- The gardener comes to tend the pool and plantings twice a week.
- Fax machine in the Dependence can be used by the maid on behalf of guests.
- 100 stairs from parking to house, 157 steps from house to the beach. Porters will be arranged to assist with luggage (E.5.00 per bag plus tip).
- Water taxi from beach to town available 24/7 by prior arrangement; please inquire.
- Children over 12 welcome if they are well-behaved; please inquire.
- The Bungalow, for an additional 2 guests (1 bedroom, 1 bath) available with additional payment; please inquire.
- The Dependence, for an additional 4 guests (2 bedroom, 2 bath) available in August with additional payment; please inquire.
POINTS OF INTEREST:
- Positano: 5 mins. by car or water taxi; 25 mins. on foot (during the day only)
- Sorrento: 25 mins.
- Capri: 30 - 40 mins. by boat (from Positano or Sorrento)
- Amalfi, Ravello: 45 mins. - 1 hr.
- Naples, Naples Airport, Pompeii: 1 hr.
- Rome, Rome Airport: 4 hrs.
- Food and beverages
- Additional staff services
- Extras deposit (E. 500.00/week, due on arrival)
- Refundable security deposit ($3,500)